Monday, January 13, 2014

Cheap vs Expensive Hair Straighteners



Throughout the past 10 years I have probably bought about 8 different types of hair straighteners. There were some that worked very well, some with its pros and cons, and some that just didn’t work well at all! I have naturally wavy hair with a lot of blonde highlights. The bleach in my hair dried it out tremendously, which was a huge factor in choosing what straightener was right for me.


                From my experience, I found that you basically get for what you pay for when it comes to hair straighteners. The cheaper ones sold at local drugstores such as Shopper’s Drugmart and Rexall, as well as department stores such as Walmart and Target are all bad quality. They take very long to heat up, and are also very easy to break. The first hair straightener I bought was a Conair one from Shopper’s Drugmart about 8 years back. I have wavy hair, and I had to go through each section of my hair about 10 times before my hair was ‘somewhat’ straight. I would definitely not recommend a cheaper hair straightener to anyone with wavy or curly hair.


                About 5 years ago, I purchased a Chi hair straightener from Trade Secrets because I heard really good reviews about it. This straightener had both its pros and cons. It had ceramic plates and heated up really fast. I also only had to go through each section of my hair about 3 times before it was pin straight; however, it had it cons as well. I have a lot of blonde highlights (which I had to use bleach to obtain), and I began to notice that the ends of my hair started to get really dry resulting in split and broken ends. The temperature was also not adjustable and the price was fairly high. I would definitely not recommend this hair straightener to anyone with bleached or highlighted hair.


                The most recent hair straightener I purchased is the Croc Infrared. The plates are Titanium, which helps to seal in moisture in the hair. The temperature goes up to 450 which is also adjustable. It takes very little effort to get my wavy hair straight. The plates are larger than the average hair straightener, and only requires me to go through each section of my hair once! It also heats up extremely fast and gives your hair a shiny look without even using any hair products. I would definitely recommend this product to everyone. It is suitable for all hair types and leaves your hair with that sleek, shiny look that everyone wants to achieve with a straightener. The price is fairly high, but you definitely get what you pay for with this product.



No comments:

Post a Comment